Monday, January 7, 2013

Plant based minimal animal protein?? Ehh Maybe..



My hubby and I had our blood tests done for the first of the year. We had our yearly check ups with a full profile. After receiving our results the doctor recommended a documentary for the two of us to watch. She suggested "Forks over Knives." I LOVE food documentaries so I was all over it :) We sat down as a family last night and watched it. The premise of the science represented in the movie is a plant based no animal protein diet. The science reported that increase of animal protein indicated in the studies an increase of diabetes, heart disease, stroke and even some cancers. I have read a lot of information on health and nutrition and always come to the question: How should I eat?? The Health Diagnostic Laboratory Test is a perfect way to test what that question means to me. Everyone has a different make up and our make up determines the synergy that goes on within. So it seems to me that since everyone is different, what is good for one may not be good for another. So I am going to try this way of eating. We are going to minimize our animal protein intake. I am already dairy free so it shouldn't be that difficult. The difference is... I will have my numbers as a way to measure the success or failure of this nutrition plan in terms of my body. Sooooo here is day one with no animal protein:
Breakfast: Home made pancake (olive oil, GF oat flour, honey, salt, baking soda, water) with 2 tbs almond butter
Snack: 1/2 cranberry KIND bar
Lunch: Home made salad with organic power greens, broccoli/carrot slaw, carrots, cucumber, apple, whole avocado, seasoning, apple cider vinegar, splash of olive oil and chia seeds, an orange and some dried banana
Dinner (pictured above): onion, garlic, kidney beans, black beans, left over baked red potato, whole zucchini, garlic powder, pepper, salt, topped with a couple scoops of quinoa and broccoli/carrot slaw
Snack: Hail Merry coconut macaroons (3), orange

Overall, I feel great! My first day back to work, I felt energized and happy. I didn't feel hungry or deprived of anything I wish I could have until I walked into my in-laws house and smelled their nachos, yummy! But alas, this was a transient feeling and didn't last long. I am hopeful of what is to come and am excited about the journey ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment